Challenge Led Applied Systems Programme (CLASP)October 11, 2018, from Sian Giles
STFC External Innovations runs a Challenge Led Applied Systems Programme (CLASP) to support the application and commercialisation of STFC research in industrial, environmental and societal grand challenges.
Up to £2m will be available in this call for projects which seek to maximise the practical impact of STFC-funded research and innovation to advance or address at least one of the grand challenges by:
- fostering global economic performance, and specifically the business competitiveness of the United Kingdom;
- increasing the effectiveness of public services and policy;
- enhancing quality of life, health and creative output.
Applications should aim to address market needs ideally by working closely with the end users. The application should also consider data ownerships, ethical issues and appropriate regulatory pathways. A business plan is required to provide exploitation plan(s) with support from appropriate industrial and other collaboration to ensure route to market.
CLASP Challenge Areas
Applicants for this call must state how their proposed research and planned activities will advance at least one of the industrial, environmental and societal challenges facing the UK and other countries. CLASP encompasses UK and global strategic challenges including:
- Those faced by industry (challenge areas within the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund);
- Areas of Research Interest developed by the government departments within the UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/areas-of-research-interest);
- And global challenges outlined in the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Proposals align to UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment should be submitted to ODA programmes, such as GCRF or Newton Fund.