DiRAC Call for Proposals Closing date: Tuesday 1st October 2019June 3, 2019, from Sian Giles-Titcombe
The DiRAC Project Board invites the UK theory and modelling communities in Astrophysics, Particle Physics and Nuclear Physics to apply for computational resources on the STFC DiRAC HPC Facility.
The deadline for proposal submissions to the 12th Call will be 5pm on Tuesday 1st October 2019
All proposal types will be accepted for this call. Please note that discretionary / seedcorn proposals can be submitted at any time. DiRAC will schedule successful peer reviewed proposals from 1st April 2020. We are also able to offer software engineering support to individual projects.
The application forms and guidance notes, plus descriptions of the DiRAC services, are available at https://dirac.ac.uk
Important points to note for the 12th Call:
- Applicants must have submitted and discussed a technical case (per proposal) with the DiRAC Technical Working Group;
- Applications will only be considered if this has been initiated two months before the closing date of 1st October 2019 (i.e. the technical case must be submitted direct to email@example.com any time up to 1st August 2019). Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit the technical case earlier than 1st August to allow for more time to implement any feedback.
- No single application can request more than 80% of the availability of a DiRAC machine within a given year.
- Current existing Thematic projects wishing to apply for more computing time can submit proposals using the following methods:
- Applications with scientific themes distinct from the existing award can be submitted as a separate proposal.
- Applications building on the same scientific theme as an existing award should apply as a new project, this new award would then replace any existing compute award. PI’s requesting for a revised or updated Thematic project must justify this request fully; the RAC will take into account all currently active projects which hold a comparable science case. This method cannot be used to top-up an existing project award if there is no change in the science case.
- Applicants are strongly advised to read the RAC Guidance Documentation for the 12th Call.
- To assist applicants in the preparation of technical cases, DiRAC will be running a webinar for potential applicants on Wednesday, June 12th, 2-4pm. This webinar will cover topics including the generation of scaling plots for your codes and there will be an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about developing a technical case.
The access details for the webinar will be circulated to all DiRAC users and PIs in early June and will be available via the DiRAC webpages. If you would like to attend this webinar and are not a current DiRAC user or PI, you can also register your interest by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Technical Case Webinar” and the details will be sent to you when they are available
Further enquiries should be directed as follows:
- RAC process and remit: STFC Swindon Office (DiRACRAC@stfc.ac.uk)
- Technical questions: Technical Working Group (Lydia.Heck@durham.ac.uk)
- Direct allocations or discretionary requests: DiRAC Director, Dr Mark Wilkinson (email@example.com)
Enquiries received within 7 days of a closing date are not guaranteed to be responded to prior to the closing date.