International Max Planck Research School for Solar System Science (University of Göttingen, Germany) – PhD Positions in Solar System ScienceOctober 1, 2018, from Richard Morton
The International Max Planck Research School for Solar System Science at the University of Göttingen in Germany (Solar System School) offers a research-oriented doctoral programme covering the physical aspects of Solar system science. It is jointly run by the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) and the University of Göttingen. Research at the MPS covers three main research areas: “Sun and Heliosphere” (director S. Solanki), “Solar and Stellar Interiors” (director L. Gizon) and “Planets and Comets” (director U. Christensen). Solar System School students collaborate with leading scientists in these fields and graduates are awarded a doctoral degree from the renowned University of Göttingen or, if they choose, another university.
The Solar System School is open to students from all countries and offers an international three-year PhD programme in an exceptional research environment with state-of-the-art facilities on the Göttingen Campus. Successful applicants will be offered a three-year doctoral support contract as well as post-doc wrap-up funding.
The language of the structured graduate programme is English, with German language courses offered (optional). The programme includes an inspiring curriculum of scientific lectures and seminars as well as advanced training workshops and provides a relocation cost subsidy and travel funds to attend international conferences.
Applicants to the Solar System School should have a keen interest in Solar system science and a record of academic excellence. They must have, or must be about to obtain, an M.Sc. degree or equivalent in physics, earth sciences or a related field, including a written Masters thesis, and must document a good command of the English language.
- Applicants can register immediately at the online application portal.
- Applications should be submitted between October 1 and November 15.
- The School will contact the referees named by the candidate upon submission of the application and will ask referees to submit their letters through the online portal no later than November 20.
To start your application, please see the following pages:
- Solar System School www.solar-system-school.de
- Call for Applications 2018 www.mps.mpg.de/phd/applynow
- Frequently Asked Questions www.mps.mpg.de/phd/faq
- List of Open PhD Projects www.mps.mpg.de/phd/open-projects
- Online Application Portal www.application.mps.mpg.de/
Dr. Sonja Schuh <email@example.com>
IMPRS Scientific Coordinator