The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Advances in Space Research – Special Issue on MHD Wave Phenomena in the Solar Interior and Atmosphere (Deadline extended)
from Viktor Fedun [March 14, 2017]
- STFC Leadership Fellows in Public Engagement – 2017
from Dave Godfrey [March 9, 2017]
- Address change – Ryan Milligan
from Ryan Milligan [March 6, 2017]
- Two RHESSI Science Nuggets
from Hugh Hudson [March 15, 2017]
- First announcement for the Fourth UK-Ukraine-Spain Meeting on Solar Physics and Space Science (UKUS)
from Viktor Fedun [March 15, 2017]
- NAM session – second announcement
from Christopher Nelson [March 15, 2017]
- Preliminary Announcement of “Helicity Thinkshop 3” 19-23 November 2017, Tokyo, Japan
from Kirill Kuzanyan [March 14, 2017]
- UKMHD 2017 – Durham University – Reminder
from Chris Lowder [March 13, 2017]
- NAM2017 SolMag parallel session: Generation and evolution of Solar and Stellar Magnetic Fields, and Implications for the Solar-Stellar Connection
from Anne-Marie Broomhall [March 13, 2017]
- Summer School: Natural Space Risks, Paris Observatory
from David Tsiklauri [March 9, 2017]
- Culham Plasma Physics Summer School
from Philippa Browning [March 6, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 76. Non-thermal line broadening in flaring coronal loops [February 2017]
- 75. Probing the corona through infrared observations [December 2016]
- 74. Sunquake survey of X-class flares for the current solar cycle [November 2016]
- 73. The European Solar Telescope [October 2016]
- 72. Particle dynamics in a non-flaring solar active region model [September 2016]
- 71. The Sun as an exoplanet-host star [August 2016]
- 70. Magnetic Flux Cancellation in Ellerman Bombs [July 2016]