The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Newton Fund Call for Proposals – Collaborative research for higher level STEM skills in Malaysia
from Sian Giles [October 13, 2017]
- STFC Challenge Led Applied Systems Programme (CLASP) 2017 – Healthcare
from Sian Giles [October 9, 2017]
- COSPAR Awards
from Richard Harrison [October 6, 2017]
- New UKSP Nugget #83
from Iain Hannah [October 8, 2017]
- “Theory and Simulation of Solar System Plasmas – particle acceleration and plasma heating” Session at EGU General Assembly – first annoucement
from Philippa Browning [October 16, 2017]
- Helicity Thinkshop 3: 19–23 November 2017 (SEIKEN SYMPOSIUM), Tokyo, Japan – Registration and Abstract Submission Deadline Extended
from Kirill Kuzanyan [October 16, 2017]
- NAM/EWASS 2018 SS12 Flares in the Lower Atmosphere of the Sun and Stars
from Lyndsay Fletcher [October 12, 2017]
- Dynamic Sun: II. Solar Magnetism from Interior to the Corona
from Richard Morton [October 11, 2017]
- Reminder: RAS Specialist Discussion Meeting “Wave-based heating in the solar atmosphere”
from Paolo Pagano [October 6, 2017]
- CISM School “Advanced topics in MHD”, June 11-15, 2018
from David MacTaggart [October 3, 2017]
- 2018 Jack Eddy Postdoctoral Fellowships
from Susanne Demaree [October 19, 2017]
- 3-year Postdoc Position in Heliophysics at FHNW, Switzerland
from Marina Battaglia [October 18, 2017]
- VACANCY AT LANCASTER UNIVERSITY: 3-year Research Associate post in space weather impacts
from Richard Morton [October 12, 2017]
- Group Leader Positions at Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (Gottingen, Germany)
from Richard Morton [October 8, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 83. Beam electrons as sources of Hα ribbons in a C-class flare [September 2017]
- 82. Propagation of information within coronal mass ejections [August 2017]
- 81. Time dependence of heavy ion ratios in solar events [July 2017]
- 80. Large Scale Coronal Structures Imaged During the 2012/2013 Total Solar Eclipses [June 2017]
- 79. Flare Forecasting at the Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre [May 2017]
- 78. Tracking flare chromospheric ionisation in the infrared [April 2017]
- 77. Just before an X-class flare [March 2017]