The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- STFC Balance of Programme (Skills) review Follow-up Community Consultation
from Huw Morgan [June 23, 2017]
- Living Reviews in Solar Physics welcomes new editor
from Frank Schulz [June 16, 2017]
- STFC – Emerging and Enabling Technology Survey
from Sian Giles [June 13, 2017]
- RHESSI Science Nugget No. 302
from Hugh Hudson [June 12, 2017]
- Abstracts Solicited for AGU Fall 2017 Meeting Session SH003: Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Retrospective
from William Dean Pesnell [June 23, 2017]
- Newton Fund Malaysia Call
from Sian Giles [June 23, 2017]
- Fourth UK-Ukraine-Spain Meeting on Solar Physics and Space Science (UKUS) – Final Announcement
from Viktor Fedun [June 20, 2017]
- STFC Introductory Course in Solar System Plasma Physics – Reminder
from Richard Morton [June 15, 2017]
- Registration deadline 26th June – STFC Advanced Summer School in Solar System Plasmas
from Danielle Bewsher [June 13, 2017]
- ESA Research Fellowships in Space Science
from Richard Morton [June 20, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 79. Flare Forecasting at the Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre [May 2017]
- 78. Tracking flare chromospheric ionisation in the infrared [April 2017]
- 77. Just before an X-class flare [March 2017]
- 76. Non-thermal line broadening in flaring coronal loops [February 2017]
- 75. Probing the corona through infrared observations [December 2016]
- 74. Sunquake survey of X-class flares for the current solar cycle [November 2016]
- 73. The European Solar Telescope [October 2016]