The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page. Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- STFC CLASP – Energy and Environment Call
from Dave Godfrey [June 21, 2016]
- New UKSP Nugget #68
from Iain Hannah [June 13, 2016]
- Mini-Workshops at SDO 2016: Unraveling the Sun’s Complexity
from W. Dean Pesnell [June 23, 2016]
- Modern Observations, Theory, and Techniques for Solar and Stellar Physics
from Anne-Marie Broomhall [June 13, 2016]
- SOLARNET 5 School and Workshop: Upcoming Deadlines
from Peter Keys [June 10, 2016]
- RAS Meeting – Flux emergence and atmospheric consequences October 14th
from David MacTaggart [June 7, 2016]
- Postdoctoral Positions in Solar Physics at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research
from Johannes Stecker [June 21, 2016]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 68. Random bursty perturbations leading to wave-like characteristics in the corona [June 2016]
- 67. Solar Physics with SunPy [April 2016]
- 66. Evidence for similar processes occurring in stellar superflares and solar flares [March 2016]
- 65. EUV irradiances across a solar cycle [February 2016]
- 64. 3D Electron Density Distributions in the Solar Corona during Solar Minimum [January 2016]
- 63. Can a single active region change the course of the solar cycle? [November 2015]
- 62. Coronal loop contraction and oscillation in flares [October 2015]