The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship Award
from Mihalis Mathioudakis [April 25, 2017]
- Reminder: Nominations sought for ESPD prizes
from Tom Van Doorsselaere [April 13, 2017]
- STFC COMMITTEE/PANEL APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS EXERCISE 2017 – call now live
from Dave Godfrey [April 6, 2017]
- New EIS Nugget – `Plasma turbulence and the standard solar flare model’ by Eduard Kontar
from Deb Baker [April 24, 2017]
- CESRA hightlight on plasma radio emission
from Eduard Kontar [April 12, 2017]
- MEETING: SPD Meeting, Portland, OR, August 21 – 25, 2017
from Richard Morton [April 25, 2017]
- 2018 Sun-Climate Symposium, March 19-23 — Save the Date
from Vanessa George [April 24, 2017]
- IPELS Meeting, 19-23 June, San Diego
from Christopher Chen [April 15, 2017]
- STFC Advanced Summer School in Solar System Plasmas – Second Announcement
from Danielle Bewsher [April 10, 2017]
- PhD position in (Astro)statistics at Université Catholique de Louvain (Belgium)
from Dr. L. Lefevre [April 18, 2017]
- NASA/MSFC Postdoctoral Position (NPP)
from Laurel Rachmeler [April 12, 2017]
- Job Opportunity at Dstl
from Helen Christie [April 6, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 77. Just before an X-class flare [March 2017]
- 76. Non-thermal line broadening in flaring coronal loops [February 2017]
- 75. Probing the corona through infrared observations [December 2016]
- 74. Sunquake survey of X-class flares for the current solar cycle [November 2016]
- 73. The European Solar Telescope [October 2016]
- 72. Particle dynamics in a non-flaring solar active region model [September 2016]
- 71. The Sun as an exoplanet-host star [August 2016]