The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page. Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Latest News Updates
- 34. Discovery of the Sausage-Pinch Instability in Solar Corona [April 2013]
- 33. ROSA observations of concurrent kink and sausage modes in chromospheric fibrils [March 2013]
- 32. Twisted flux tube emergence: rigid rise or nonlinear deformation? [February 2013]
- 31. Emission measure maps of a CME seen by SDO/AIA [January 2013]
- 30. Could the unusual solar minimum have been predicted? [December 2012]
- 29. Particle dynamics in the heliospheric current sheet [November 2012]
- 28. Space weather at the Institution of Engineering and Technology [October 2012]
- 27. Weighing a filament by its photoionisation shadow [September 2012]
- 26. Modeling the life of a flux rope from formation to ejection [August 2012]
- 25. Role of Structured Turbulence in Energetic Particle Propagation [July 2012]
- 24. Asymmetric Reconnection at 3D Magnetic Null Points [June 2012]
- 23. Observations of transverse oscillations in chromospheric mottles [May 2012]
- 22. A huge solar tornado observed by Solar Dynamic Observatory [April 2012]
- 21. Plasma parameters in eruptive prominences from SDO/AIA observations [March 2012]
- 20. Rapid Cavity Formation and Expansion in CMEs [February 2012]
- 19. Quasi-biennial variations in helioseismic frequencies [January 2012]
- 18. Mega-tsunamis above the surface of the Sun [December 2011]
- 17. Transverse coronal loop oscillations seen by AIA/SDO [November 2011]
- 16. The Alfvén Amplifier [October 2011]
- 15. Structure and Dynamics of a Polar Crown Cavity as Observed by SDO/AIA [September 2011]
All UKSP Nuggets are available here.