The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- STUDENTSHIP PROGRAMME AT THE ISAAC NEWTON GROUP OF TELESCOPES
from Sian Giles-Titcombe [March 7, 2019]
- New UKSP Nugget #99
from Iain Hannah [March 6, 2019]
- UK Solar Orbiter workshop – Registration now open
from Valori Gherardo [March 15, 2019]
- “Scintillating Science: Cutting-Edge Science Achieved Through the Observations of Radio Scintillation” Workshop – First Announcement
from Mario M. Bisi [March 14, 2019]
- 9th Coronal Loops Workshop – St Andrews (UK), 11-14 June 2019
from Ineke De Moortel [March 14, 2019]
- CESRA Workshop 2019: – registration and abstract submission are open
from Eduard Kontar [March 13, 2019]
- Partially Ionised Plasmas in Astrophysics PIPA2019 (Mallorca, Spain) — 2nd Announcement: deadline April 1st
from Istvan Ballai [March 13, 2019]
- RAS Specialist Discussion Meeting: Flares on the Sun and stars: microflares, megaflares, and the largest flare of Solar Cycle 24
from Anne-Marie Broomhall [March 7, 2019]
- LOOPS-9 (11–14 June 2019, St Andrews) – Registration and Abstract Submission
from Ineke De Moortel [March 4, 2019]
- Two tokamak MHD Physicist positions at UKAEA
from Christopher Ham [March 20, 2019]
- University of Glasgow – PDRA position in Solar Physics
from Iain Hannah [March 20, 2019]
- University of Colorado Boulder (USA) – Postdoctoral Research Position in Solar Physics
from Maria Kazachenko [March 15, 2019]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 99. Preflare and flare turbulence in the transition region [March 2019]
- 98. Observing and Modelling a Flux Rope in the Corona [January 2019]
- 97. Jet formation and evolution due to 3D magnetic reconnection [December 2018]
- 96. Magnetic Helicity, Sunspot Number and Solar Activity [November 2018]
- 95. Trick or TWIKH Spicules [October 2018]
- 94. Evidence of coronal jets in the solar wind? [September 2018]
- 93. The Magnetic Response of the Solar Atmosphere to Umbral Flashes [August 2018]