The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Availability of X-class flare data from the Swedish Solar Telescope
from Aaron Reid [June 14, 2018]
- Reminder: STFC Introductory Solar System Plasmas Summer School 2018 (ISSP18): 27 – 31 August 2018
from Claire Foullon [June 14, 2018]
- STFC Advanced Summer School 2018
from Robert Fear [June 6, 2018]
- ESA Research Fellowships in Space Science
from Nicolas Labrosse [June 21, 2018]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 90. A novel magneto-seismology technique for solar magnetic field diagnostics [May 2018]
- 89. When are Coronal Jets miniature CMEs? [April 2018]
- 88. Excitation of coronal loop oscillations by coronal rain [March 2018]
- 87. Giant solar loops and LOFAR radio observations [February 2018]
- 86. Evidence of recurrent reconnection driving fan-shaped jets. [December 2017]
- 85. The role of the magnetic field in sunquakes [November 2017]
- 84. The first NuSTAR microflare [October 2017]