The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- STFC – Emerging and Enabling Technology Survey – Last call – Closes on July 14th
from Sian Giles [July 12, 2017]
- PROBA2: Eighth Call for Guest Investigators
from Matthew West [July 7, 2017]
- STFC Challenge Led Applied Systems Programme (CLASP) 2017 Launch
from Sian Giles [July 7, 2017]
- RHESSI Science Nugget No. 303
from Hugh Hudson [July 24, 2017]
- Newton Fund STEM Skills Malaysia Call – Extended Deadline
from Sian Giles [July 14, 2017]
- AGU SH011 session on solar radiative variability and influence on Earth
from Odele Coddington [July 7, 2017]
- SMILE SXI Instrument Software Scientist at the Mullard Space Science Laboratory
from Richard Morton [July 24, 2017]
- Research Associate (Solar Physics)
from Rebecca Crookall [July 24, 2017]
- Research Associate in Heliospheric Physics
from Silvia Dalla [July 12, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 80. Large Scale Coronal Structures Imaged During the 2012/2013 Total Solar Eclipses [June 2017]
- 79. Flare Forecasting at the Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre [May 2017]
- 78. Tracking flare chromospheric ionisation in the infrared [April 2017]
- 77. Just before an X-class flare [March 2017]
- 76. Non-thermal line broadening in flaring coronal loops [February 2017]
- 75. Probing the corona through infrared observations [December 2016]
- 74. Sunquake survey of X-class flares for the current solar cycle [November 2016]