The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- AGP Community Report 2019
from Astrolists [January 10, 2020]
- New mailing list for Data Science related topics
from Natasha Jeffrey [January 2, 2020]
- Particle acceleration in solar flares — Deciphering its features under magnetic reconnection, Workshop March 9-11 2020, Kavli IPMU, Kashiwa, Japan
from Natasha Jeffrey [January 20, 2020]
- Invitation for abstract submission, COSPAR D2.4/E3.4 Session: Sun-Heliosphere Connection Events: Origin, Propagation, Impact and Prediction.
from Miho Janvier [January 16, 2020]
- MSE:UK Science Workshop: Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge 25 – 27 March 2020 – Registration & Abstract Submission Now Open!
from Astrolists [January 15, 2020]
- OPTICON Workshop on The Future of MOS Technologies – Registration Now Open
from Astrolists [January 15, 2020]
- Waves and Instabilities in the Solar Atmosphere (WISA) Meeting – 2nd Announcement
from Richard Morton [January 14, 2020]
- ST22 ‘MHD Wave Processes in the Solar Atmosphere’, AOGS 2020, final announcement
from Viktor Fedun [January 14, 2020]
- Reminder: NAM2020 Call for Session Proposals – Deadline 17th January 2020 17:30 UTC
from Astrolists [January 14, 2020]
- The near-Sun solar wind at solar minimum: Royal Astronomical Society discussion meeting, Friday 13 March
from Tim Horbury [January 14, 2020]
- SOLARNET Public Engagement workshop 31st March – 1st April 2020, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK (2nd Announcement)
from Richard Morton [January 13, 2020]
- Abstract submission deadline January 15th for EGU Session ST1.9 “Theory and Simulation of solar system plasmas – focus on space plasma turbulence”
from Philippa Browning [January 7, 2020]
- Fully-funded PhD opportunities at Northumbria University
from Professor James McLaughlin [January 14, 2020]
- Call for GNOSIS PhD Studentships – Deadline 23:00 31st January 2020
from Astrolists [January 13, 2020]
- Lectureship in Radio Astronomy at Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, University of Manchester
from Philippa Browning [January 8, 2020]
- Postdoctoral position (Space Physics) at Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
from Caitriona Jackman [January 8, 2020]
- PhD Position in solar, stellar and exoplanet science
from Raphaelle Haywood [January 7, 2020]
- PhD Studentships at Queen Mary University of London
from Christopher Chen [January 4, 2020]
- High Altitude Observatory Lab Director
from Naomi Letourneau [January 2, 2020]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 107. Forced reconnection unveiled in the large-scale corona [December 2019]
- 106. A new procedure for detecting periodicities within complex coronal arcades [November 2019]
- 105. Transient inverse-FIP effect observed during a solar flare [October 2019]
- 104. Comparing Different Methods for Computing Solar Angular Momentum Loss [September 2019]
- 103. Modelling multi-scale solar eruptions [August 2019]
- 102. Do p-modes power the corona of cool stars? [July 2019]
- 101. Mapping the magnetic field of solar coronal loops [June 2019]