The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- RAS Council Nominations
from Natasha Jeffrey [November 12, 2019]
- Developing A World Class Research Programme – Update from the Solar System Advisory Panel (SSAP)
from Sian Giles-Titcombe [November 8, 2019]
- New RHESSI Science Nuggets
from Hugh Hudson [November 6, 2019]
- NASA’s “Living with a Star” Heliophysics Summer School
from Marianna Korsos [November 12, 2019]
- ESPM-16 first announcement: 7-11 Sept 2020, Turin Italy
from Natasha Jeffrey [November 11, 2019]
- RAS Specialist Discussion Meeting on MHD Wave and Oscillations
from Jiajia Liu [November 8, 2019]
- UK Solar Orbiter Workshop 2020 Registration Open
from Duncan H Mackay [November 5, 2019]
- SWIMMR (Space Weather Instrumentation, Measurement, Modelling and Risk) Kick-Off meeting
from Richard Morton [October 30, 2019]
- Call for applications for 15 Marie Sklodowska-Curie PhDs to study Exoplanets and Planet Forming Disks
from Georgina Bennett [November 13, 2019]
- Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Theoretical Solar Physics at New Jersey Institute of Technology, USA
from Wenda Cao [November 12, 2019]
- Two permanent positions in Applied Mathematics at Glasgow
from David MacTaggart [November 6, 2019]
- Total Solar Irradiance instrument scientist
from Louise Harra [November 4, 2019]
- Lindemann Trust Fellowships 2020-2022
from Natasha Jeffrey [October 30, 2019]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 105. Transient inverse-FIP effect observed during a solar flare [October 2019]
- 104. Comparing Different Methods for Computing Solar Angular Momentum Loss [September 2019]
- 103. Modelling multi-scale solar eruptions [August 2019]
- 102. Do p-modes power the corona of cool stars? [July 2019]
- 101. Mapping the magnetic field of solar coronal loops [June 2019]
- 100. A Century of UKSP Nuggets [April 2019]
- 99. Preflare and flare turbulence in the transition region [March 2019]