The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- George Doschek Chosen to Write Solar Physics Memoir for 2021
from Lidia van Driel-Gesztelyi [June 1, 2020]
- Preparation of DKIST proposals
from Mihalis Mathioudakis [May 27, 2020]
- Call for Applications to STFC Advisory Bodies and Peer Review Panels, 2020
from Astrolists [May 18, 2020]
- New UKSP Nugget #109
from Iain Hannah [May 18, 2020]
- 16th Pencil Code User Meeting 2020
from Simon Candelaresi [May 22, 2020]
- Research Fellow in Solar and/or Magentospheric Physics (University of St Andrews, UK)
from Alan Hood [June 3, 2020]
- JOB OPENING: Solar Energetic Particles Scientist at Community Coordinated Modeling Center (NASA/GSFC)
from Leila Mays [May 21, 2020]
- Lecturer in Radio Spectrum Physics and Engineering
from Marianna Korsos [May 19, 2020]
- Postdoctoral position in theoretical and computational space plasma physics
from Vadim Roytershteyn [May 18, 2020]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 109. Kink oscillations of sigmoid coronal loops [May 2020]
- 108. Cool and hot emission in a recurring active region jet [February 2020]
- 107. Forced reconnection unveiled in the large-scale corona [December 2019]
- 106. A new procedure for detecting periodicities within complex coronal arcades [November 2019]
- 105. Transient inverse-FIP effect observed during a solar flare [October 2019]
- 104. Comparing Different Methods for Computing Solar Angular Momentum Loss [September 2019]
- 103. Modelling multi-scale solar eruptions [August 2019]