The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Support for UK users of the Dunn Solar Telescope
from Richard Morton [January 13, 2017]
- call for the statements of interest – Topical Issue in Solar Physics “Combined radio and space-based solar observations: from techniques to new results”
from Eduard Kontar [January 11, 2017]
- CESRA hightlight on quasi-periodic solar radio bursts
from Eduard Kontar [January 4, 2017]
- RHESSI Science Nuggets in December, 2016
from Hugh Hudson [January 1, 2017]
- UK solar missions forum
from Louise Harra [January 13, 2017]
- Call for abstracts: Special Session at EWASS-2017
from Lyndsay Fletcher [January 11, 2017]
- EGU Session – Space Weather Forecasting
from Simon Thomas [January 6, 2017]
- ST07 ‘The Wave Coupling Between the Lower Solar Atmosphere and Corona: MHD Approach’, AOGS 2017
from Viktor Fedun [January 4, 2017]
- Chief Telescope Engineer at the Dunn Solar Telescope
from R.T.James McAteer [January 14, 2017]
- Fully-funded PhD studentship on ‘The evolution of solar active regions and its relation to flaring activity’ at Northumbria University (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
from Shaun Bloomfield [January 1, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 75. Probing the corona through infrared observations [December 2016]
- 74. Sunquake survey of X-class flares for the current solar cycle [November 2016]
- 73. The European Solar Telescope [October 2016]
- 72. Particle dynamics in a non-flaring solar active region model [September 2016]
- 71. The Sun as an exoplanet-host star [August 2016]
- 70. Magnetic Flux Cancellation in Ellerman Bombs [July 2016]
- 69. Low-Coronal Sources of “Stealth” Coronal Mass Ejections [June 2016]