The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page. Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- STFC Projects Resesearch and Development scheme (PRD) – Call for Applications
from Dave Godfrey [June 18, 2015]
- RHESSI Science Nuggets in June
from Hugh Hudson [June 30, 2015]
- RHESSI Science Nugget No. 255
from Hugh Hudson [June 22, 2015]
- DiRAC-3 proposal Review Working Group meeting
from Dave Godfrey [June 30, 2015]
- SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT – Third Remote Sensing of the Inner Heliosphere and Space Weather Applications Workshop
from Mario Bisi [June 30, 2015]
- Fall AGU – SH021: Space Weather Forecasting: Science and Operations
from Mario Bisi [June 29, 2015]
- Hinode 9 International Science Meeting – Imminent Deadlines
from Mihalis Mathioudakis [June 29, 2015]
- Dynamic Sun: I. MHD Waves and Confined Transients in the Magnetised Atmosphere
from Dr. A.K. Srivastava [June 25, 2015]
- Space Science Mission Systems Engineer Vacancy at Airbus DS UK.
from Markos Trichas [June 29, 2015]
- Research Associate at Durham University
from Anthony Yeates [June 25, 2015]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 58. Space Weather Forecasting and Research at the Met Office [May 2015]
- 57. First direct measurements of transverse waves in solar polar plumes using SDO/AIA [April 2015]
- 56. Observation of a high-quality wave train in the solar corona [March 2015]
- 55. On the plasma and magnetic field structure of prominence legs [February 2015]
- 54. Assessing the polarization ratio technique for 3D CME reconstructions [January 2015]
- 53. Helical Blowout Jets in the Sun [November 2014]
- 52. Coronal “Puffs”: fast and slow ejections caused by active region jets [October 2014]