The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Global Challenges Research Fund Update
from Sian Giles [September 18, 2017]
- European Solar Physics Division – New ESPD Board
from Tiago Pereira [September 15, 2017]
- European Solar Physics Division – 2017 Prizes
from Tiago Pereira [September 15, 2017]
- Eighth Call for PROBA2 Guest Investigator Program – Extended
from Matthew West [September 15, 2017]
- Forthcoming Projects Peer Review Panel (PPRP) meeting
from Sian Giles [September 14, 2017]
- Nominations for the IAU PhD Prize
from Richard Morton [September 6, 2017]
- New version of SunPy released
from Jack Ireland [August 31, 2017]
- Solar radio science highlight on radio oscillations
from Eduard Kontar [September 8, 2017]
- New UKSP Nugget #82
from Iain Hannah [August 31, 2017]
- “Into the Red Dragon’s Lair: Four-in-One Workshop Tackling Outstanding Problems in Heliophysics and Space Weather” at the Clayton Hotel, Cardiff, Wales, UK (03-08 December 2017) – FINAL Announcement.
from Mario Bisi [September 15, 2017]
- 2018 Sun-Climate Symposium, Lake Arrowhead, CA, March 19-23 — Call for Abstracts
from Vanessa George [September 15, 2017]
- SECOND CIRCULAR: The Symposium from the International Astronomical Union IAUS 340: Long – Term Datasets for the Understanding of Solar and Stellar Magnetic Cycles
from Hamish Reid [September 14, 2017]
- 15th September – deadline for LoI for 2019 IAU Symposia
from Richard Morton [September 4, 2017]
- “Into the Red Dragon’s Lair: Four-in-One Workshop Tackling Outstanding Problems in Heliophysics and Space Weather” at the Clayton Hotel, Cardiff, Wales, UK (03-08 December 2017) – Third Announcement.
from Mario Bisi [September 1, 2017]
- RAS Specialist Discussion Meeting “Wave-based heating in the solar atmosphere”
from Paolo Pagano [August 31, 2017]
- British Antarctic Survey – 3 year, fixed term appointment
from Emma Woodfield [September 14, 2017]
- PhD Positions in Solar System Science in Göttingen, Germany / Deadline 15 November 2017
from Sonja Schuh [September 7, 2017]
- Postdoc position in Solar Physics at Stockholm University
from Richard Morton [September 1, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 82. Propagation of information within coronal mass ejections [August 2017]
- 81. Time dependence of heavy ion ratios in solar events [July 2017]
- 80. Large Scale Coronal Structures Imaged During the 2012/2013 Total Solar Eclipses [June 2017]
- 79. Flare Forecasting at the Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre [May 2017]
- 78. Tracking flare chromospheric ionisation in the infrared [April 2017]
- 77. Just before an X-class flare [March 2017]
- 76. Non-thermal line broadening in flaring coronal loops [February 2017]