The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- Forthcoming Projects Peer Review Panel (PPRP) meeting
from Sian Giles [May 25, 2017]
- Cheng Fang Chosen to Write Solar Physics Memoir for 2018
from Ed Cliver [May 21, 2017]
- RHESSI Science Nugget No 300
from Hugh Hudson [May 15, 2017]
- CESRA hightlight on solar Microwave emission as a proxy of CME speed
from Eduard Kontar [May 10, 2017]
- Abstract deadline for ESWW
from Jackie Davies [May 26, 2017]
- STFC Introductory Course in Solar System Plasma Physics – Reminder
from Richard Morton [May 22, 2017]
- “INTERACT” Symposium
from Dave Godfrey [May 21, 2017]
- Second announcement for the Fourth UK-Ukraine-Spain Meeting on Solar Physics and Space Science (UKUS)
from Viktor Fedun [May 14, 2017]
- Reminder – Registration open for STFC Advanced Summer School in Solar System Plasmas
from Danielle Bewsher [May 14, 2017]
- JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral position in space plasma simulation at Imperial College London, Space and Atmospheric Physics Group
from Jonathan Eastwood [May 22, 2017]
- Job Advert: PDRA position at UCL Mullard Space Science Laboratory
from Robert Wicks [May 18, 2017]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 79. Flare Forecasting at the Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre [May 2017]
- 78. Tracking flare chromospheric ionisation in the infrared [April 2017]
- 77. Just before an X-class flare [March 2017]
- 76. Non-thermal line broadening in flaring coronal loops [February 2017]
- 75. Probing the corona through infrared observations [December 2016]
- 74. Sunquake survey of X-class flares for the current solar cycle [November 2016]
- 73. The European Solar Telescope [October 2016]