The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- UK SKA Community Events Committee Vacancies
from Astrolists [August 6, 2020]
- National Space Innovation Programme (NSIP) is now live!
from Astrolists [July 27, 2020]
- STFC Leadership Fellows in Public Engagement is now open for applications
from Natasha Jeffrey [July 24, 2020]
- Richard C. Canfield Chosen to Write Solar Physics Memoir
from Lidia van Driel-Gesztelyi [July 23, 2020]
- New Hinode/EIS Nugget
from Deb Baker [July 29, 2020]
- New UKSP Nugget #111
from Iain Hannah [July 24, 2020]
- Online Advanced Study Program on Helicities in Astrophysics and Beyond
from Kirill Kuzanyan [August 3, 2020]
- Dynamic Sun III: A new era of multi-wavelength solar and stellar observation
from Viktor Fedun [July 30, 2020]
- UK Space Safety Community Meeting – Registration is Open!
from Natasha Jeffrey [July 28, 2020]
- Virtual Annual Meeting of the German Astronomical Society
from Natasha Jeffrey [July 22, 2020]
- STFC INDUSTRIAL CASE STUDENTSHIPS 2020
from Georgina Bennett [August 5, 2020]
- EPSRC Research Software Engineer Fellowships Call 2020
from Astrolists [July 30, 2020]
- Radiation Belt Scientist at British Antarctic Survey
from Cecilia Lemaire [July 24, 2020]
- EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Space Weather Forecast Applications Scientist in the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at CU Boulder and located within NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC)
from Eric Adamson [July 23, 2020]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 111. Increasing occurrence of inverted magnetic fields from 0.3 to 1 au [July 2020]
- 110. Flare/CME Cartoons [June 2020]
- 109. Kink oscillations of sigmoid coronal loops [May 2020]
- 108. Cool and hot emission in a recurring active region jet [February 2020]
- 107. Forced reconnection unveiled in the large-scale corona [December 2019]
- 106. A new procedure for detecting periodicities within complex coronal arcades [November 2019]
- 105. Transient inverse-FIP effect observed during a solar flare [October 2019]