The study of the Sun, or solar physics, is a vibrant field of research in the UK. Over 150 UK scientists are actively investigating the dynamic evolution of our closest star using numerical, computational and observational techniques.
The UK Solar Physics community (UKSP) is a Specialist Scientific Group affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. This website serves as a repository of information for the UKSP community, with community news, information about national and international conferences, employment and study opportunities, solar missions, and computing resources.
We distribute a newsletter of the latest Solar Physics and related news twice a month (1st and 15th). To sign up to the emailing list or to view the archive of newsletters please go here. These news items are also reproduced on this website and can be viewed as a summary of the last 15days, last 32days or the whole archive. To submit information to be posted to the website and to be included in the newsletter please go to the Submit News page.
Follow our twitter feed: @uksolarphysics.
Or follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uksolphys/ .
If there are any queries about UKSP, please contact the Chairperson or Deputy Chairperson.
Latest News Updates
General News/UKSP Business:
- 2020 Astronomy Grants Round
from Sian Giles-Titcombe [December 3, 2019]
- New DEM inversion software available on Solarsoft
from Huw Morgan [December 3, 2019]
- Call for new members to the UKRI International Development Peer Review College
from Sian Giles-Titcombe [November 27, 2019]
- Solar radio astronomy nuggets in November 2019
from Eduard Kontar [December 2, 2019]
- NAM 2020: Call for session proposals
from Natasha Jeffrey [December 1, 2019]
- UK Solar Orbiter Workshop 2020: Final Announcement and Invited Speakers
from Duncan H Mackay [November 28, 2019]
- Annual Computing and STFC Town Meeting – Friday 17 January 2020 – Registration now open
from Georgina Bennett [November 28, 2019]
- Python in Astronomy 2020
from Will Barnes [November 26, 2019]
- Los Alamos Space Weather Summer School
from Marianna Korsos [November 22, 2019]
- ST22 ‘MHD Wave Processes in the Solar Atmosphere’, AOGS 2020
from Viktor Fedun [November 20, 2019]
- 47th IOP Plasma Physics Conference, 21-24 April 2020, Institute of Physics, London, UK
from Ken McClements [November 20, 2019]
- COSPAR ISWAT Inaugural Working Meeting: Second Announcement
from Mario Bisi [November 19, 2019]
- Three Postdoctoral Research Associate positions in Theoretical Astrophysics at DAMTP, University of Cambridge
from Marianna Korsos [December 4, 2019]
- Postdoctoral and PhD positions available at AIP (LOFAR & PSP)
from Natasha Jeffrey [December 2, 2019]
- [ukmhd] Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics at Leeds
from Marianna Korsos [November 27, 2019]
- Assistant Professor Position in the Department of Space Science at The University of Alabama in Huntsville
from Natasha Jeffrey [November 19, 2019]
UKSP Nuggets highlight the latest solar physics research led from the UK:
- 105. Transient inverse-FIP effect observed during a solar flare [October 2019]
- 104. Comparing Different Methods for Computing Solar Angular Momentum Loss [September 2019]
- 103. Modelling multi-scale solar eruptions [August 2019]
- 102. Do p-modes power the corona of cool stars? [July 2019]
- 101. Mapping the magnetic field of solar coronal loops [June 2019]
- 100. A Century of UKSP Nuggets [April 2019]
- 99. Preflare and flare turbulence in the transition region [March 2019]