We would like to draw your attention to and encourage abstract submissions for our session on “EDI in Astronomy and Geophysics” at NAM 2023, Cardiff, 3-7 July 2023. The session description is below, and details on the conference and abstract submission can be found on the NAM website (https://nam2023.org). The abstract submission deadline is 13:00 UTC Monday 24 April.
EDI in Astronomy in Geophysics
The EDI session will discuss equality, inclusion and diversity topics in astronomy and geophysics, in addition to the lunch time plenary session.
This session will address a variety of themes, which affect students and staff alike, including (but not limited to) gender, disability, neurodiversity, race, religion, socio-economic background, age and sexual orientation and the intersections between them.
The session talks will cover a variety of issues, and discuss the statistics of minority representation, the initiatives in place to improve conditions, and how bullying and harassment within universities can be combatted. The session will host speakers from outside of astronomy and academia, including expert trainers in EDI issues. The session will also present and discuss recent results to relevant surveys. This session will be a place to discuss positive and negative experiences for the community, where everyone is very welcome.
The main goals of this session are:
– Stimulate an atmosphere of openness and welcoming for the entire community.
– Highlight areas of inequity and lack of diversity.
– Promote positive resolutions to issues of diversity and equality. Particularly encouraging training, workshops and awareness.
– Highlight best practices for universities, research institutions and other employers for dealing with bullying and harassment, in order to create the best departments where people can do their best research.
– Discuss equity initiatives and how they have contributed to the improvement of working conditions.
Sheila, Jasmine, and Ben