SOLARNET Public Engagement workshop 31st March – 1st April 2020, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK (2nd Announcement)January 13, 2020, from Richard Morton
To support SOLARNET outreach and public engagement efforts we’re organising two training workshops. Aimed at both early career and senior researchers, the workshops will build confidence, skills and perspective for a wide range of communication activities and situations. In addition, the first workshop (in 2020) will be loosely themed around engagement with schools, with the second workshop (in 2021) having elements of collaboration masterclass.
While researchers are welcome to attend either workshop, we hope that some activities developed at (or in response to) the first workshop will be shared for discussion and further development in the second.
Workshop 1: 31st March – 1st April 2020, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK.
This workshop will introduce the range of opportunities through which public engagement can occur, and some of the key issues:
– Why do we want to ‘engage the public with science?’
– Designing for evaluation, pathways to impact, and writing engagement into research bids.
– Contexts & approaches: the range of opportunities available for science communication.
– How to talk to people. Understanding your audience, and the ‘communication’ part of ’science communication’.
– Unconscious bias: implications and mitigations.
– Empty vessels to science capital and co-creation: developments and trends within public engagement.
Attendance of the workshop is free and open to anyone who considers themselves a member of the Solar Physics research community.
If you would like further information please head to https://solarnet-project.eu/Public-Engagement-Training-Workshop